Friday, June 13, 2008

Miracles on a Rough Day

We have had such an amazing trip that a bad day was bound to come eventually. Friday was that day. It started with a poor night's sleep for all which meant a grumpy baby. We had nothing planned all morning so we decided to that Qian Qian to the pool which she loves. Harry took her while I packed up.

As I was packing I realized that I couldn't find my NTI mouthpiece. For any of you that have TMJ (jaw problems), you realize what a vital thing this is. I wear it at night to prevent clenching and helps me to sleep. On the ice breaker question, "What is the one thing you have to take if on a trip?", my NTI is always my answer. I am trying not to panic because in my world NTI=sleep. Harry and I searched for two hours. We took everything out of the suitcases, searched every crevice in the room and considered the possibility that Lyra might have thrown it down the toilet. Finally I had no where left to look but to God. Prayed that this would not ruin the rest of my trip, to please allow me to sleep and that a miracle would to nice.

At noon we left for the airport. Lyra was very tired by now but there was too much to see and do to sleep. She had a large crowd around watching her scamper around the airport, mimicking people who walked by. By the time we got on the plane, she was overtired with no chance of sleeping. Every cry would bring on the stares of all the other passengers, seeing what we were doing. It was hard as many people were trying to take her from us and she was willing to go since she was really tired of us. I hit a really low moment as the culture shock and lack of sleep caught up with me. Harry took Lyra and I tried to sleep but could only feel sorry for myself. After some really sad thoughts, I turned to God for help. After my prayer, I realized I needed to "buck up" - being a mother is hard work but it is the job God has called me to do. I stood up from my seat to see Lyra sitting with the Chinese gentleman behind us and then refusing to go back to Harry. They were encouraging her to tell Harry "Bye-bye". This is a normal for their culture but really inappropriate for a newly adopted child. So after a few minutes I took her back, screaming, and spent the rest of the time playing and encouraging her. It is really hard for Lyra since she knows and likes us but she can't understand us and we don't look like anyone she has seen before.

On the van ride to the hotel, she finally gave up and fell asleep. As evening approached, I unpacked everything but could not find my NTI. I was dreading sleeping without it but kept expecting a miracle. I even shook its little box half-expecting God to have put it back in there. As I climbed into bed, my foot stepped on something hard - it was my NTI - just sitting there on the floor! So I tell you this long and pathetic story of a weak human to glorify God and His miracles! He shows Himself and will support you in His own time and with His wonderful sense of humor.

No comments: