Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mama and Dada

What a delightful day we have had! It is finally starting to click with Lyra (or Qian Qian as we are still calling her) that we are more than just different caregivers. Lyra will no longer go up to anyone but seems to be more exclusive for Harry and I. She is really starting to open up and play with us. I bought some Chinese children's songs and she danced and acted so silly when I played them.

Lyra does not speak much but is babbling more. I asked Shirley if she is speaking any Chinese and she laughed and said, "No, just baby talk." At the restaurant, the server asked Shirley something after one of these babbling rounds and Shirley laughed again. She told us, "She asked if she was speaking English!" No, she is just speaking Lyra language.

So we are working on several things with her. My heart was overwhelmed a couple times today. She was taking a bath this morning and Harry was watching her. I called a question into the bathroom for Harry and Lyra started saying, "Mama? Mama?" Of course I had to come in to confirm and celebrate. At the orphanage, we were given a couple new pictures of Qian Qian as a baby and Shirley asked her to take each picture to her Mama. She immediately brought them to me! We are working on getting her to speak "Dada". Lyra seems to know he is "Dada" but has trouble making the sounds. She understands Mandarin perfectly and obeys Shirley and others when they give her commands. Unfortunately we can't speak well enough but she certainly understands "No", now.

The orphanage visit went well. We were able to take several pictures of the outside. We also spoke with the director and she was able to fill in some gaps. I had gotten the disposable camera back that I had sent the foster family. I had the pictures developed and asked if they would give the extra copy to the foster family. They were able to identify people in the photos for me. They also commented what a good girl Qian Qian is. The director said she is the first one to not cry when at the orphanage - being with new parents in a new setting. She thought she would do very well.

Qian Qian is eating well and seems to really like her bottles. She is also still mimicking me - she insisted on having her toenails painted! She also refuses to use her diapers and tells us everytime she needs to go potty. I really had no intention of potty training her but she seems to have made up her mind. I still put diapers on just in case.

We are so thankful for all our children. The rest of the kids seem to be doing really well at home - Tristan, Alex and Lily, we love and miss you so much - can't wait to see you next Wednesday! Hugs and kisses! Father, thank You for blessing us with such a special family. Our hearts just get bigger as our family grows. Please continue to help this little one You have allowed to join us.

4 comments:

mom said...

Glad to hear everything is going wonderfully with Lyra. I can't wait to meet her in person. I can't wait to see her dance. Isn't it great to hear those words mama!? Send some well wished our way. Blessings, Missy

Lana said...

It is so exciting to watch this all unfold for you! God is so good! Can't wait to meet her! Mama has to be one of the sweetest words ever! ~ Lana

Tony and Rett said...

AMAZING!!!!

God IS good!

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Maddie and I were just catching up on all your happenings in China. We watched the movie Mulan last night-(an all-time fave) Sounds like you have your own little amazing strong and adaptable China doll! Blessings to you, Mama and Dada!
Sheila & Maddie Graber