Friday, May 23, 2008

44# checked & 11# carry-on

Packing. PACKING. PACKING!! It's taking over my thoughts, energy, our bedroom and spilling into our bathroom. Luggage stacked in the corner with various travelling paraphernalia that we've borrowed from different friends and family (Thanks everyone!). Sacks of toiletries to be gone through (can I live 2 weeks without this mouthwash or, more importantly, will this small deodorant last 2 weeks?). A growing pile of medications ("yes, I know that you haven't had that in years but what if..."). It's really the "what ifs" that cause all the problems. My mind is very creative at imagining possible scenarios and the devastating consequences if I did not bring THIS crucial item. For instance, I have 4 snack choices for Lyra, but what if she doesn't like the selection and not love me because of it!

I had always stressed out when leaving on trips until my mother taught me a valuable lesson: No matter where you go, if you forget something, you can usually find a Walmart nearby. Now, don't get me wrong, they do have Walmarts in China but somehow I think they might sell different products. Having all instructions in Chinese only adds to the challenge.

To make packing more complicated, we are travelling on several In-China flights. Chinese airlines have much stricter standards than the US flights. Absolutely no liquids or gels are allowed in carry-ons due to added security for the Olympics. Checked luggage is limited to 44 pounds and carry-ons to 11 pounds - they can actually weigh your carry-on in the airport! Eeek. My dad gave us an old laptop to take with us and it alone weighs 8 pounds without any of the connections!

So as I find my stress level rising, I realize I need to give this over to God . . . again. He has taken care of every detail for this adoption, will he really leave us in China without a plan? In His big picture, does it really matter if we have to do more laundry in our hotel room or run out of shampoo? With every step, I seem to have to try it on my own first before realizing God had us covered the entire time. Jesus, help us keep it simple, draw from Your strength, and cherish your plan for our family without the unnecessary "baggage" I keep trying to add.

1 comment:

Pam said...

You are in our prayers Robin, Harry, Lyra, Lily, Tristan, and Alex! Let us know if we can help while you are gone in any way! What's one, two, or three more!! LOL!!

Love you all and we can't wait to see our new cousin!!

Pam